Check In Check Out | Quick Start Guide
Use this guide to set up and use your RedBeam Check In Check Out software.
Initial Installation Steps:
- RedBeam recommends reading the user manual (found on the CD) before installing. If
you have downloaded the software (all software purchased outside the US is provided digitally
only), the manual can be accessed after installation under Programs->RedBeam->RedBeam Check In Check Out.
- Verify that your computer uses Microsoft Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 or 8. If using Vista, 7
or 8, please go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts and disable User Accounts control
- You must be logged in as a Local Windows Administrator to install. Temporarily disabling
firewalls and anti-virus applications is recommended while installing.
- From the CD or downloaded installation, double click on the setup icon. Follow the
instructions to install the software.
- When you launch the software for the first time, you will be asked if you want to store data
on this PC. If so, click “Yes”. If not, please first install the software on the PC where the data will
reside and then return and install on this PC.
- You will be asked to enter a new password for the server. Your initial user ID will be “sa” (for
system administrator.) Please make a note of this user ID and password in case you want to
network your system later.
- You will be asked if you want to load demo data. If so, click “Yes”. You can purge the data
at anytime by going to Admin->Purge in the system.
- Once the system launches, begin entering your Master Data by clicking on the Master
Data tab. This is data that is used by the rest of the system. It includes your organization,
buildings, rooms, items, employees, departments, item types, units of measure, vendor,
manufacturers, model numbers, statuses and projects.
- When your Master Data is set up, click on the Transactions tab to begin checking
your items in and out.
- Go to Reporting->Label Printing to print location and item barcode labels.
- Remove the cabled scanner from the box and plug the USB cable into any available USB
port on your computer.
- Pull the trigger to insure that the laser light activates. You can scan into any field in the
system by putting your cursor in the field and scanning.
- Remove the cradle for the mobile computer from the box and plug in the power supply
and communications cable.
- Attach the communications cable to the back of your PC.
- Place the mobile computer in the cradle and allow the battery to charge.
- Go to Start > Computer > System Properties to check your operating system version. If you
are running Windows XP, download and install Microsoft ActiveSync here. If you are using
Windows Vista or later, download the Windows Mobile Device Center 32-bit version here or the
64-bit version here.
- Once installed, you should notice the green ActiveSync or Mobile Device Center icon
connecting in your tool bar. If the mobile computer does not connect, remove it and place it
firmly back in the cradle. ActiveSync should connect.
- Once ActiveSync connects, it will try to set up a partnership or ask you to set up your
device. RedBeam recommends following the steps to do this. Unless you plan on syncing
other programs on your PC to the mobile computer, when presented with the list of other
programs to sync, uncheck all of the application check boxes. Complete any remaining steps.
The device should then be connected.
- In the RedBeam Check In Check Out program, go to the Sync Handheld tab and click the “Sync
with the Handheld” button. The first time you do this, the program will load to your mobile
computer. Click the button a second time to sync your data.
If you have a valid support contract and need additional support, please call RedBeam, Inc.
at 678-373-0390. If you need to purchase a support contract, please contact your RedBeam